AKCLI - Villages of Hope News

AKCLI (All Kids Can Learn International) is a 501(c)3, IRS approved, Christian ministry dedicated to rescuing orphans and raising them as disciples of Jesus Christ for their own nations. AKCLI is creating Villages of Hope, self-sustaining settings in which we provide orphaned children with quality care, education, Christian discipleship training, vocational training, and employment settings in which to grow and thrive.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

January 26th - From the Veranda

Reflections by Kathleen: I will begin this 3rd report from the veranda at the house. Today is both Kimberly and Benedict's birthday. So I'm the cook tonight - spaghetti. Also Mangoes that Kristina will go into the yard and pick off the trees. We have ordered a cake from Michael who cooks for the guests here. Michael is an excellent cook. Last night Drew and Steve treated all of us to one of Michael's excellant meals. For those of you - like my mother - who like to share menus, this is what we had: leg of lamb, potato dish, gravy, risce with some vegetables, cooked vegetables (mainly eggplant), delicious fresh green beans, coleslaw, and fresh green salad with tomatoes, onions, lettuce, and a little cabbage. For dessert we had "bread pudding" made from lemon pound cake (I think) with a sweet sauce.

Just as midwesterners use different words sometimes from easterners in the US, here they have some interesting expressions. You don't move from one house to another. You "shift." You don't ask, "Where do you live?" You are living where you are at the moment. So the question is, "Where do you stay?" Hamburger (which they never heard of) is mince meat. And my favorite so far - a period at the end of a sentence is "full stop."

I think it was probably in the 80s today, and no rain. Usually there is a breeze wherever you might be. It is really a country with great weather.

One of the worship leaders at the church we attended last Sunday had asked me to come over so that I could help him with some worship leading things. So on Tuesday night Benedict, Kimberly (who also plays guitar) and I went over to his house. They are some of the white Zimbabwe farmers who had lost everything. We had a wonderful time with them. I'm sure glad I brought my guitar since I'm using it almost every day.

Tonight after dinner, Joseph, the young man in charge of the conservation farming will come over. Benedict had given him the guitar Benedict had bought for me on the last trip. Joseph wants me to give him a guitar lesson. Tonight Joyce and Christine Kumani (husband John is the farm manager here) will also join us for a little birthday party. We will have birthday cake and a great time singing and playing.

Today we were back at the school. Some classes were combined so I had level 6 & 7. They combined classes that day because it was "cleaning" day. Don't ask me why that is so. When we were done teaching the children were working around the yard and probably inside too.

Today I did a very rudimentary evaluation of the students. I gave every desk (2-3 students each) something to read. Then I went around to see who was able to read what I had given them. I identified 7 who could read - out of about 32 or so. You will have to tutor me, Christopher, on teaching English as a second language.

When we were talking about questions and answers, I asked each student, "What do you want to do when you grow up?" The responses: doctors, nurses, truck drivers, teachers, soldiers, and farmers. Such answers makes me want to do whatever I can to help them be able to read.

I realize that my reports are somewhat one sided - based on my activities. Each day Benedict and Kamau are kept busy with all the activities of the farm - talking with the electrician and Zestco the electric company, getting items needed for the contruction, transporting workers, overseeing the builders, purchasing 2 oxen, meeting with folks in Lusaka, hosting visitors who come to see the project, etc.

The crops are growing, land is being cleared for the wholesale produce market and more land for the second round of crops, roof is going on the 3 cottage, walls are being finished on the 4th cottage, the interiors of the first 2 are being worked on, and plans are being made to hire the first house mother. So much is happening.

Thank you to all of you for your interest and prayers. Please feel free to send this to anyone you think might be interested in knowing all the things happening here.
With love, Kathleen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home