AKCLI - Villages of Hope News

AKCLI (All Kids Can Learn International) is a 501(c)3, IRS approved, Christian ministry dedicated to rescuing orphans and raising them as disciples of Jesus Christ for their own nations. AKCLI is creating Villages of Hope, self-sustaining settings in which we provide orphaned children with quality care, education, Christian discipleship training, vocational training, and employment settings in which to grow and thrive.

Saturday, March 01, 2008

A Medical Minute

 

I have realized that knowledge I take for granted has never been taught to the women here.  At our last meeting of the Chimwemwe Ladies Club, we began having a medical minute.  Even though I am not a nurse, I know more than they do and we can certainly research information that they would like to know about. 

 

My first topic was drinking and pregnancy.  Drinking beer is a very big thing here.  You will drive down the road and see plastic containers by the side of the road just waiting for the beer truck to come by and fill up the containers.

 

Two of the ladies in the group are pregnant and I also heard that they drink a lot.  So that was my medical minute.  Drinking is very bad for your baby when you are pregnant.  I hope it has some effect and maybe saves some little child from having the problems associated with drinking during pregnancy.

 

 

1 Comments:

Blogger jason j said...

Its funny (maybe not funny) the things that we take for granted that should be common knowledge, but just are not.

On a similar note, my wife went on 2 medical missions trip to Uganda and she told me all sorts of medical misconceptions that are common culture in some parts of Africa. Some were relatively harmless, but others were very harmful.

Of course, thats not to say that we don't have any weird misconceptions back here in the states. In the pharmacy, I field calls all day long from people who "heard something on TV" or "had a friend tell them." It definitely keeps me on my toes for sure!

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home