AKCLI - Villages of Hope News

AKCLI (All Kids Can Learn International) is a 501(c)3, IRS approved, Christian ministry dedicated to rescuing orphans and raising them as disciples of Jesus Christ for their own nations. AKCLI is creating Villages of Hope, self-sustaining settings in which we provide orphaned children with quality care, education, Christian discipleship training, vocational training, and employment settings in which to grow and thrive.

Saturday, November 07, 2009

I Never Imagined

People sometimes ask me, "Did you ever think you would be living in
Africa?" The answer is yes. As a young girl I thought I would be a
missionary in Africa. But if you had asked me if I ever pictured
myself sitting in a small room of a local African hospital with seven
African women as some were being tested for HIV, I would have to say
"no."

At our Chimwemwe Meeting yesterday several women said that they wanted
to be tested. Some would come today and some tomorrow for me to drive
them up to Liteta (about 5 minutes away) to the Liteta Hospital for
the test. I packed 5 women in my little car and when we arrived at
the Hospital, Mary Zulu, who lives in Liteta and is chairwoman of the
Executive Committee of the Chimwemwe Ladies, was there to meet us.

As we went to find the man she had talked to about our coming, we went
by the large number of sick people who were waiting to be seen. There
were more people than there were benches for them to sit on. All ages
were represented. Some of the babies were fussing. I thought that if
I were a doctor or nurse there, I would be overwhelmed by the number
of people waiting.

We were then taken to a small office room where we all met with a
counselor. She asked them questions about HIV and explained many
things. Mary was interpreting to me what the counselor said, since
she was speaking in the vernacular. Then the counselor took blood by
pricking the finger of each woman. What a blessing that the test is
so easy and quick.

I gave each women the 700kwacha (less than 25cents) needed to buy the
little books they have to have to go to the hospital, kind of like
their medical file. Then the counselor met with each woman alone to
let them know the results of the test.

I have no idea if any of them tested positive. The day before, I had
used the scripture that our housemother Anne had mentioned to me the
week before. "You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you
free." I said that when they know their HIV status, it will set them
free from worry and uncertainty. I think the women were all glad that
they went to the hospital. Tomorrow more women will be going.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home