AKCLI - Villages of Hope News

AKCLI (All Kids Can Learn International) is a 501(c)3, IRS approved, Christian ministry dedicated to rescuing orphans and raising them as disciples of Jesus Christ for their own nations. AKCLI is creating Villages of Hope, self-sustaining settings in which we provide orphaned children with quality care, education, Christian discipleship training, vocational training, and employment settings in which to grow and thrive.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Zambia 7-25-07

For Blog

When I arrived, Kimberly gave me a "miner's" light.  It goes on your head and then it is a battery operated light.  That way you can do work and have your hands free.  Since the power seems to go out almost every evening for a couple of hours, it is quite handy.  I think I make a funny sight though. 

Although there is a washing machine in this house, it doesn't work.  The last couple of mornings I have spent the first 1 ½ hours of the day washing clothes by hand, rinsing, wringing them out, and them hanging them up outside.  This afternoon the girls, Sena and Kelly, decided they would wash their own clothes.  They discovered that when you mix colors you can end up with funny colors where they aren't suppose to be.  They also realized it is a big job to wash clothes that way.  I ended up doing the rinsing for them, then taught them how to hang clothes outside.  Some of these "arts" are lost for our children. 

We picked up some things at our Farmer's Market today – tomatoes, cabbage, eggs.  They do sell chickens but I told the young adults working there that I couldn't buy chicken from them.  I don't know how to wring their necks and pluck the feathers!  When you buy them there you are certainly getting a fresh chicken!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home