AKCLI - Villages of Hope News

AKCLI (All Kids Can Learn International) is a 501(c)3, IRS approved, Christian ministry dedicated to rescuing orphans and raising them as disciples of Jesus Christ for their own nations. AKCLI is creating Villages of Hope, self-sustaining settings in which we provide orphaned children with quality care, education, Christian discipleship training, vocational training, and employment settings in which to grow and thrive.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Jack of all Trades, Master of None

As I was doing a job yesterday, the phrase "jack of all trades, master of none" came to my mind.  Most of us do have to be able to do different things throughout each week.   I'm thinking of pioneer folks who had to be able to build, farm, respond to medical problems, sell goods, etc.

 

So I thought a brief description of my activities this week would explain why I was thinking that that phrase certainly could apply to me right now.

 

+  My usual jobs of wife and mother.  With the wife part now comes giving advice and working with Benedict as he administers the work of the Village.

 

+  I went to visit the wife of one of the workers who had a small baby.   The girl is 17 and can't speak English, so I took Christine with me.  We gave her a baby blanket, made by ladies in the US and took pictures.

 

+  I tutored English with Kimberly at the Okada school.

 

+  I had the second teacher workshop at Okada school.  It was so much fun to see the teacher's joy at playing some of the games I was telling them about for children.

 

+  I did some study from some resource I had brought from the US.  Then met with the housemothers and Kimberly and Kamau and shared a teaching on disciplining children.  We then worked on discipline policies for the cottages.  

 

+    Tonight I will be leading a worship team music practice.

 

+  Yesterday, using the layout designed by Aaron, and using a GPS (Global Positioning System) and noting the coordinates, I worked with Mr. Phiri and Christine to mark the positions of the next 9 cottages.   We used stakes and bright yellow plastic bags to mark the four corners of the cottages as we tramped through the property.

 

+  Hostess:  We often have an extra person at dinner.   Although I don't have to clean the house, do laundry, and rarely do dishes, I still usually make dinner for our family and whatever guests come.

 

+ Each week at senior staff meeting I take the minutes.  Then I write them up and develop the list of work to be done the following week.

 

+  In between all of this, I'm doing some creative writing projects.

 

If you like to have variety in your life and like to try all kinds of things, I guess Zambia is the place for you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home