AKCLI - Villages of Hope News

AKCLI (All Kids Can Learn International) is a 501(c)3, IRS approved, Christian ministry dedicated to rescuing orphans and raising them as disciples of Jesus Christ for their own nations. AKCLI is creating Villages of Hope, self-sustaining settings in which we provide orphaned children with quality care, education, Christian discipleship training, vocational training, and employment settings in which to grow and thrive.

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Advent Devotional by Kathleen Schwartz December 15 – Birth

“And while they were there, the time came for her baby to be born.  She gave birth to her first child, a son.  She wrapped him snugly in strips of cloth and laid him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the village inn.”  Luke 2:6-7

I had 4 children in modern hospitals, with nurses and doctors all around, pain medicine if I wanted, Benedict by my side, and family praying for me.  It seems that Mary had her baby in a barn with Joseph nearby.  I could hardly have imagined such a thing before coming to Zambia.

Many women here have their babies in their small huts all by themselves.  I know one woman who rode a bike the 5 miles to the hospital when she was in labor, only to be sent back home (another 5 miles on the bike).  A few hours later she had the baby by herself in her hut.  Benedict was called to take one woman who was in labor to the hospital.  By the time he got to the house, the baby had been born.  One of our employees did not go to the hospital.  She was carrying twins.  One died, one survived. 

The women around us think it would be a terrible idea to have their husbands in the delivery.  I wouldn’t want it any other way!  The women around us do not expect that they will have any help with their pain.  I was glad to know it was there if I needed it.  And the women around us take care of their newborns in their dirt floor, dark, small homes.

I believe that the circumstances of Jesus birth were very common for women then, and probably for most of the women in history when giving birth.  Which once again emphasizes that Jesus had no spectacular birth, surrounding by high-tec medical personnel, waiting throngs (as will happen when Kate has her baby in London), or worldwide new headlines.  He was born like almost everyone else has been born in history.

He is a King for all people.  He wants to be the Lord for all people.  And He died for all people.  That means you and me.

Dear Jesus,  Thank you for leaving the splendor of heaven for the lowest and most common person anywhere and at any time.  Thank you for coming for me.  Thank you for choosing that way and that place and that mother.  May I also live my life to be your disciple to anyone who crosses my path, rich or poor, sick or well, famous or unknown.  Amen.  Come, Lord Jesus.

The Bwanga twins, Mr. Bwanga is in charge of our poultry production. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home