AKCLI - Villages of Hope News

AKCLI (All Kids Can Learn International) is a 501(c)3, IRS approved, Christian ministry dedicated to rescuing orphans and raising them as disciples of Jesus Christ for their own nations. AKCLI is creating Villages of Hope, self-sustaining settings in which we provide orphaned children with quality care, education, Christian discipleship training, vocational training, and employment settings in which to grow and thrive.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lent


As many of you know, for years I was a church musician working in Episcopal, Presbyterian, Lutheran, and Methodist churches.  The seasons of the church year are in my blood and part of the yearly calendar for me.  So Wednesday February 13 is the start of Lent, the days leading up to Easter.

Lent has been known as a time when people give things up.  In high school it was chocolate or things like that.  Now I read of people giving up Facebook or other media. At my church in Maryland this year there is a focus on prayer and fasting during this season of Lent.

From my perspective here in Zambia, as I look at my world in the US, I wish that a big part of the focus for Lent could be: “What should I be doing or giving that I haven’t been?” 

So I challenge you:  if you are giving up something, replace it with something that will help to build the Kingdom or show God’s overwhelming mercy, grace, and love to someone.  Money saved from not eating chocolate, or buying Starbucks coffee, or not eating out so much can be given to an organization serving people in need.  Time saved from being on Facebook, etc.,  can be used in time spent loving members of your family, or members of the community in need.  Those of you who have visited here, invite friends over and share your pictures and memories of your trip and encourage others to partner with us.

There is nothing like joining God in His Kingdom work wherever you may be.  We’d love to hear from you about how God leads you this Lent to be part of what He is doing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan Lukaart said...

Steve & I decided to say the Shema twice a day during Lent. "Hear oh Israel, The Lord is our God, The Lord alone. Love The Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your might. You shall love your neighbor as yourself." So right away we wonder what that kind of love can look like. oh yea, and who is my neighbor?

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home